Spring and Summer Time Dangers for Our Pets

posted: by: Fran Bailey Tags: "Clinic Specials" "News" 

Toxic plants can be dangerous for dogs and cats
While many of the plants that we commonly keep in our gardens are beautiful to look at, these same plants can cause serious gastro problems for our pets: such as azaleas, Japanese ewe, foxglove, tulips, oleanders, castor beans, chrysanthemums, sago palms and many other types of plants can all be very toxic to unsuspecting curious pets.

Pets can be exposed to chemical toxins in the spring
With warmer temperatures, many of us begin using chemicals such as fertilizers and insecticides on our lawns and gardens.  It is important to remember that these chemicals can be hazardous to pets.  All pets should be kept away from treated areas.  In many cases, safer non-toxic products may be preferable and equally effective.

Flea, tick and other parasite exposures
Spring is also the time of year when fleas, ticks and other parasites start to make their presence known.  Though fleas and ticks can be present year-round, their populations tend to increase drastically in the springtime,  Both dogs and cats are targets for these parasites.

Allergies in dogs and cats
Just as in people, springtime can bring on allergies for many dogs and cats as well.  Pets may develop allergies to plants, pollens, fleas, and many other substances.  Springtime allergies in pets most commonly show up as skin problems.  Allergic dogs and cats generally become very itchy, may experience hair loss or inflamed skin and may every show a change in behavior due to the irritation of the allergy.  Less commonly, respiratory symptoms or runny eyes may occur as a result of allergies in pets.

Prevention is always the easiest choice when it comes to protecting your pet from dangers, but if they get in something, its important to know the warning signs:  vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and lethargy are common symptoms of toxic ingestion, but you know your pet.  If he/she isn't acting normal to you please call.

Dogs can overheat very quickly.  Symptoms are panting, lethargy, drooling, fever, vomiting, and collapsing.  If there are indications that your pet is showing signs of heat stroke, the first thing you should do is remove them from the environment and bring them to a cool room or shaded area.

You can call our phone line 24 hours a day (225) 791-2098.  If we are closed there is an emergency number to call.